Sunday, June 19, 2005

Apparently Not Everybody's Favorite Hummus

Now that summer has officially arrived - as noted on google.com (love the holiday variations of the logo on their website), I'm enjoying a variety of leisurely outdoor activities, which given my own tendencies and the company I keep, always involve the unabashed consumption of food and drink. With plans to meet my friends for the first Bryant Park film of the summer, I thought, what better way to kick off the season and outdoor film series, then with a tub of Bobbi's Your Favorite Hummus. Pita and veggies of course included, though merely to serve as utensils for scooping up the extremely tasty, garlicky smooth hummus. It's just that good and far superior to any other kind of hummus out there.

Thinking about it just made my mouth watered as I headed off to Whole Foods, the only known location where this hummus can be found. I browsed the produce section, picking up a few items along the way. As I approached the hummus section, I noticed that the distinctive white tub with black cap was missing. Slightly suspicious, but trying to remain calm, I took a deliberate lap around the floor, thinking that the good people at Whole Foods had moved it to another section. In previous experience, I had noticed that Your Favorite Hummus wasn't always in the hummus section, perhaps bc the other hummuses felt inadequate by comparison. I checked the cheese section and then the sauce section. Took yet another lap around the floor before asking a Whole Foods employee who gave me a completely blank look. Obviously, he had never experienced Your Favorite Hummus bc otherwise he'd know. Not sure what I was talking about, he directed me to another hummus location upstairs.

I was skeptical, but nonetheless, followed his advice and proceeded upstairs to check it out. No Your Favorite Hummus to be found, so I decided to consult customer service. Alas, two people recognized the brand and said it was an item that you either really loved or hated. They were of the former group, which I was pleased to hear. Unfortunately, they informed me that the buyer decided not to carry the item anymore bc not enough people were buying it. I was completely shocked and horrified and berating myself for not purchasing the hummus often enough to keep them from discontinuing it. I liken the experience to discovering that your favorite tv show has been canceled or that a book from your childhood is out of print. Or the restaurant that you always go to has closed. Strangely, all of these scenarios have happened to me recently... perhaps I have somewhat marginal preferences.

I wasn't willing to let go, so after a bit of prodding, the customer service people supplied me with the buyer's name and the store's number. Make no mistake - she will be hearing from me soon.

In short, don't let this happen to you - any item that you suspect is in danger of being discontinued, I suggest that you buy it in bulk while it's still around. Thanks for checking in.

- E

2 Comments:

Blogger Jephrey said...

Were bringing the hummus back to NYC ourselves. What neighborhood do you live in. I'll tell you where the hummus is!!!

Thanks!

Bobbi's

jephixim@yahoo.com

11:01 AM  
Blogger edna mode said...

I just saw this! I now live in Cobble Hill.

Where I can find??

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home